Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Studio Ergonomics- Part 1

In a never ending quest for an Ergonomic workspace... I have come across a few articles on general ergonomics (rules about *where* to put things so you don't have bad posture/strain), but no article speaks to this with the addition of ...
  • clever placement of gear for accessibility- using specific amounts of gear and specific studio furniture/stands to achieve the ergonomic goal
saying things should be "easily accessible" is quite general, and I've found making this happen is challenging when you have more than a few pieces of gear.

For a real (solution taking into account a multitude of instruments/tools), I consider the following 4 paths...
  1. Airplane Console: attempt an "Airplane console Gear cockpit" with *all* the gear.
  2. Mini Stations: create discrete (separate) ergonomic "mini stations" (Studio A, B, C approach)- but within the same room.
  3. Minimal approach: minimize by selling off (or storing) all but the essential pieces
  4. Rotation: minimize by storing all but the essential pieces- and 'rotate' in the other items in a 'guest spot' for specific projects.
what I've heard about "Minimal" design> Quality over quantity. 'Instead of having a lot of stuff, a minimalist would choose just a few really good things (he or she) loves and uses often.'

Could that really be the key to an enjoyable and productive workspace?

It certainly is how I started out- with just a few pieces. Of course I had a lot of time then, and was very productive. Not sure if that was due to just the "few" pieces, or a factor of oodles of time. I do know I pushed each piece to the limits of its ability- which smacked me right up against a ceiling when I wanted to do more (yes- there was voice robbing, and patch switch delays). That's what led to the acquisition of more gear.

I have heard many speak of "doing More with Less"- and hence the accompanying phrase "Less IS more"- and I can see that perspective.... but will it work for me? Will *any* of these approaches work for me? I will have to try them to find out.
-though from the 'minimalist' approach I remember an interview with a musician that stated he had *never* sold any gear (and he had some *great* stuff- even to this day). I know I've let go of instruments I do not miss- and those I truly missed, I bought again (quite troublesome to waste time with those transactions). Don't want to go that route again- so I suppose I should go with option # 4 Rotation: minimize by storing all but the essential pieces- and 'rotate' in the other items in a 'guest spot' for specific projects. - yep... that one sounds like a good compromise that can produce the reward I seek (inviting and productive workflow) next I'll have to get to the details.. What gear.. and Where.

No comments: